Old 01-20-06, 09:00 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Impressions during the video (which I watched before reading the article or this thread): Why is he touching the bus? Is he trying to grab on for a ride? Later, is the bus going to turn right into the cyclist? Then, is the cyclist trying to catch up to the bus and put his bike on the rack? Then, is that guy helping him because he is hurt or is he beating him up? Oh, they're fighting. I've seen these hyper-angry cyclists before. That must be what happened.

The cyclist was a jerk. I didn't see the bus do anything wrong. Around here the buses must negotiate frightfully limited space. You have to step back from the curb sometimes. But these guys are masters at moving those enormous things in tiny spaces. I've come to learn that just because a bus comes close doesn't mean anything is wrong. Just hold your line.

I'm sorry to disagree with everybody but the cyclist was in the wrong. (That doesn't make what the driver and passenger did after the fact right--that was wrong, too.) He's obviously one of those militant guys who has forgotten how to have fun while cycling. He's swallowed the bitter pill of self-righteousness and now feels he must bludgeon everybody else over the head with it.

And he's got it all wrong. Rather than fight with the bus he should take his complaint to the city. If the bike lane is as bad as he said (the video was extremely pixelated but the pavement looked smooth to me), he needs to make the government understand that an unmaintained bike lane does not a bike lane make. That if they're going to provide a facility it must be provided for, otherwise it doesn't exist.