View Single Post
Old 12-12-18, 06:27 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Prob'ly not. There are moments, however few and far between, when I do use the other chain rings. If I didn't have them, I would certainly miss them

Your suggestion on stretch limit is consistent with @Trsnrtr, above, so it makes sense. I haven't been very good about keeping an eye on the chain....and maybe gotten into a poor habit of expecting to have to replace chain *and* cassette at the same time (chain rings seem to last longer) so I've shopped for cheaper cassettes. Sounds like if I monitor the chain stretch more diligently I can invest in a slightly better cassette and have it last a lot longer. Prob'ly should buy/develop some kind of chain stretch indicator so I can check every time I lube the chain (which is fairly often). The side benefit is that the chain ring(s should last a lot longer, as well.

Curious question....how sure are we that the chain we buy isn't already mfg'd with something close to .5% stretch to begin with? Are there certain brands people are more sure of than others?

Very glad I asked, what might appear to be, a "pedestrian" question. Seem to learn something new all the time. Thx.

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Sounds like you are a secret 1x fan :-)

For chain economics consider 3 chains cost a bit more than a regular cassette (unless you have one of the super expensive XTR 12-speed or SRAm 12 speed etc.). I change my chains when chain elongates to 0.5%.
Take steel ruler and measure 12 links. If they reach 12" and 1/16", replace. Or measure 10 links and replace at 25.5 cm. Both measurements are at about 0.5%.
You will get around 3 chains out of oen cassette and 2-3 cassettes out of one chainring. It depends a bit on if you use all cogs evenly, the 11T wears fastest. YMMV.

For chain maintenance just wipe off the chain after dirty rides or every once a while. Re-lube and wipe off again after the oil soaked in. If you get some dirt on the RD sprocketts, wipe off every once a while. unless it gets muddy, this is all it takes.

How long all gear lasts depends on your force, dirt, water etc. MTB drivetrain parts typically last shorter than road parts due to dirt.

I always buy the cheapest parts, I don't think expensive chains and cassettes last that much longer. Quite the opposite when it comes to expensive light-weight parts with aluminum and titanium instead of steel. any shimano, SRAM or KMC chain will be good. any shimano, SRAM or Sunrace cassette will be good for the price.