Old 12-15-18, 05:23 AM
medic75

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stache 5, 2017 Diamondback Hannjo Trail, Schwinn Central (winter bike with studded tires)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I don't think you need studs in these conditions. In my area, we get freezing rain like you'd get snow - you have to watch out for shadows, slick looking patches (that could be frozen), and take exaggerated care on any maneuvers, but at 31 the freezing rain is mostly liquid on the roads and probably melts off in the direct sunlight.
I would love to agree with you, but depending on where the OP is in Pennsylvania, freezing rain is a little different. Under some conditions, freezing rain falls as rain,washing away any residual salt on the tarmac, and then freezes into a sheet of extremely slick ice with a layer of water on top. This is a condition where you have difficulty standing up on. This typically only lasts a couple of hours before the surface temperature rises or the road crews spread some salt. This is common when the ground is frozen and a warm front causes the precipitation to be liquid. While this is likely the worst case scenario, it is not an anomaly.