View Single Post
Old 12-15-18, 06:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 1,161 Posts
I have used my Ortlieb roller type panniers since 2009, both front and rear. Not a hassle at all.The roller type ones work well with a pannier that is less than full, as you can roll the top over a few more times to take up the excess volume. You get used to squeezing out most of the air for a few seconds before you start to roll them.

I have not used Ortleb brand ones with a flap on top but I have used other brands that had a flap on top. I had less luck at closing up a pannier that was less than full when it had a flap on top, the flap often would not fit quite right.

Ortlieb makes two types of roller ones, the City version and the regular version, mine are the regular that have a strap that goes over the top. A friend of mine uses the City version. Both of us are happy with our choices. The City version are a bit lighter but lack a few things that you find on the regular version.

But for the past two decades I have been using a backpack for canoe trips that had a roller top made by SealLine and I use a lot of dry bags for kayaking that have a roller closure, so I am used to that type of closure. I also have a couple day packs that have a roller closure. So maybe it is personal preference.