View Single Post
Old 12-15-18, 05:57 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
1300 East street southbound between Sandy, UT and Draper. Bike lane abruptly ends at Sandy City limit. Speed limit is 45mph, two lanes each direction, heavy traffic. The road narrows so that the right lane's stripe is a four inches from the gutter. The lanes are not wide enough to share.

If one car were to do the right thing by getting over to pass the car behind wouldn't see me in time, and chances are the traffic in the left lane is tight enough an emergency swerve wouldn't be possible. At 50mph actual speed, and me around 20, I would be struck at a 30mph speed differential in less time than the driver has to think and react.

The sidewalk would be great here were it not for the trees planted here and there narrowing it down to a width I fear my handlebars wouldn't clear unless I'm extremely careful.

I just have to take alternate routes. How dumb it is to have a good bike lane end, dischargi g riders onto a death-trap road.

That's the only place I wish to ride on sidewalks near where I live. Where I used to live in Los Angeles I wished for a proper sidewalk going over Cahuenga Pass from Hollywood into the Valley. Another death-trap area I attempted once and resolved never again