Old 12-17-18, 05:13 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Not only these Chinese carbon frame manufactures cannot put name-brand decals on the consumer-direct-sales frames; but also there are subtle differences with the name-brand frames. Whether these differences produce significant performance or durability gaps is still very difficult to tell, I don't know of anyone has provided significant testing side-by-side of a budget Chinese carbon frame vs name-brand carbon frame of very similar model.
This would prove disastrous for the name brand manufacturers. They are selling carbon models for up to $16K. Direct to consumer Chinese brand frames are available for a few hundred dollars. This is a no-win proposition: if the frames are in any way comparable in quality, it's a PR disaster. If they are significantly different in quality, it's what one would expect given the enormous price gap.

In reality, what you're paying for is the dealer network, bike shop support, multi-year warranty, and 1st world salaries for their design teams for R&D.

Personally, after decades of building and servicing carbon bikes from name-brand manufactures and building 4 Chinese carbon bikes from framesets in the last 20 months; I can say that there are still noticeable differences between the name-brand and Chinese carbon frames. Especially when it comes to tolerance differences and surface finish details. I usually overlook these details, because I don't expect the same amount of detail/finish with the budget pricing of Chinese Carbon frames. I consider them disposable like a plastic water bottle when I encounter frame failure.
What Chinese brands are you referring to? What are the tolerance differences and surface finish details? Are you using digital calipers? Most of the Chinese generics are not painted: just matte carbon with no decals or clear coat. How many of these bikes encounter frame failure? Are you saying Chinese carbon frames cannot be repaired? Funny, just about all carbon frames from the major manufacturers are produced in china and can be repaired in most instances.

I don't expect the Chinese carbon frames to perform at the highest level, constant sprinting at max rider effort, descends at high speeds, or high speeds over the pave, out in the elements at extreme temperatures day-in and day-out, etc..

At the level of casual cyclist, these frames perform just fine for weekly club rides, few out-of-saddle sprints/climbs here and there, run over a few potholes, etc..
Knowing your expectation of what you may do with these frames, what type of riding will you be doing and more importantly how well you know your equipment under high stress usage, these are keys to purchasing low-cost carbon frame from any manufacture.

Ultimately, it comes down to how much risk you take with your ride.
If you are running over potholes on every ride and in need of super tough wheels, these Chinese carbon frames may not be right for you.
This is why pros replace their carbon bikes after each season at the latest, sometimes after just a single tour. You're implying that pro models have an indefinite life cycle and that is completely false.

Also, without data from fatigue cycles in the lab, you really have no evidence at all that the name brands last any longer than Chinese direct to consumer frames. You have made some big claims and offered up no data or evidence of any kind.

Last edited by radroad; 12-17-18 at 05:33 PM.