View Single Post
Old 12-18-18, 10:54 AM
Pitbull pedal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
My only question is how do you ensure that you clip in....in exactly the same spot laterally along the spindle? So for example, if a cleat is mounted too far towards the inside of your shoe, it can cause pain to the inside of your knee (because the Q-Factor is off). Unless I missed it, you clip on a spindle, so how do you ensure that it is in the exact spot every time? So if you are able to clip in anywhere along the spindle, it would replicate having normal cleats either mounted too close or too far from the inside of your shoe throwing the alignment off and causing pain to either the inside or outside of the knee....would it not?
As far as foot placement on the spindle, there is a guide flange. Your foot just goes up against it and you push forward and you will clip in every time. I can understand Q-factor but some of it is hard for me to really believe and I'm sorry about that. My partner and I are both older gentlemen and with just the basic simple movement of my foot within the shoe and all of the human joints from ankle to knee to hip there is so much flexibility that we have not run into any problems or pain based off the Q-factor.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have the same question about sliding (or not being able to slide) the foot laterally. I recently adjusted my pedals for a couple millimeters wider q-factor and got vastly increased comfort, so it does matter.
I still like the pedals … waiting to see what happens. On the other hand, I just put a set of XTs (Shimano MTB) on my rain/work bike last night and they are excellent …. Very easy to clip into. You would need to beat the XTs in weight and price, if only by a little ….Right now I have road shoes, MTB shoes, and sandals. All my road bikes have the same style pedals, all my work bikes have the same style pedals. I would be looking at three pairs of pedals plus one or two cleat sets—or, if they are that good, six or seven sets of pedals. So…. performance and price do matter.
As with my answer to the other gentleman, right now we don't seem to have any problems riding with the system. I do think that the pedal or cleat could be modified to move your foot into a different location without that much difficulty if needed.

The article did mention that the rider could clip in anywhere along the shaft, but the lock was most secure when the foot was butted against the inner plate surrounding the spindle. Q-factor would have to be adjusted through washers on the threads or plastic plates which slid over the spindle to effectively widen the base plate ... even so it seems the rider could clip in at the wrong spot along the spindle and have to unclip and reclip.
As far as right now, we feel that with your foot going directly against the guide flange it puts your foot in the same spot every time.

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I see many problems, like no guaranteed repeatable side to side relocation and no float. Speedplay has all of that covered.
Like I had stated above, we feel our alignment is taken care of with the guide flange. These pedals can be made with or without float. I personally prefer riding with no float, as I feel like I'm part of the bike. The other cleats that I ride with have float as we just needed to prove to ourselves that the cleat could be made with float if someone desired it.

The big (and it is big) advantage of this system is the fast, sure, clip-in. As I mentioned above, for commuters or MTB riders these pedals would be fantastic, if they work as advertised. They need to address the lateral location issue, though. I can sometimes ride for a couple hours without having to stop and unclip, and sometimes have to stop and unclip six or seven times in an hour ride. it is all about traffic and luck at the lights. Any time I was riding around town, particularly if I was doing shopping or something, or just needed to get through the heart of downtown to get to the good riding roads ion the far side .....
As we are working with this bike company it appears that they would be wanting to offer an amateur pedal being a little heavier, and a titanium pedal for the maximum weight reduction. All of this can be made on a power fed CNC lathe which should help keep the cost down. As far as the cleats go that is simple injection molding that would produce maybe 4 cleats every 30 seconds, and you could do the math from there if high quantities are needed.