Old 01-21-06, 12:01 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daily Commute
what should the cyclist have done? Complaining to the city is not an option in a middle of a commute. I stand by my contention that he should have been in the traffic lane, farther to the left.

Also, you didn't say why you thought the bus driver could not have changed lanes and passed in the left lane. Or, better yet, why the driver should have passed at all if the bus couldn't stay ahead of the cyclist.
He could have a) taken another route, b) moved over so as to avoid being hit by the bus, c) taken more of the lane, d) did one of HH's slow/stop signals, e) anything else. What he chose to do didn't help much.

I don't know what the bus driver could have done. The 4-quadrant video was a little hard to make out exactly the circumstances. It kinda appeared like the cyclist was reaching for the bus, not that the bus was reaching for the cyclist. If it would have been me I would have moved over out of an instinct for self-preservation.

The thing is it's like 4 mintues of pixelated video. None of us really knows the whole story. If the guy is a BF member maybe he could tell his side of the story.

Oh, and by the way there's a bunch of stuff in my morning paper today about rolling through stops and how annoying it is the way people drive around here. Drivers do complain about other drivers just as much as we complain about them. But genec is right. It's always everybody else who is wrong and when I roll through I stop it's because I've got a good excuse.