View Single Post
Old 12-21-18, 12:05 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Riding a bike in those thunderstorm regions where the entire roadway floods is insanity. If you're not totally familiar with the roads and you hit a bump, grate, pothole or even a piece of debris hidden beneath the water its good night nurse.

I know locations where the road become so flooded you get impact waves (when a large vehicles passes) even onto the sidewalk. Not to mention you constantly will get sprayed in the face.
One summer in Beijing I was out shopping having parked my bike on the outskirts of blocks with high-rise buildings in Zhongguancun. Suddenly the sky extra darkened and the rain started coming down so hard that in minutes water was above the knees. All the asphalt and concrete did not help in draining the water. I headed for my bike and riding ended up being easier than walking or driving in the rivers that the streets became. Later I learned that people drowned in their cars in the pools formed in the road underpasses.