View Single Post
Old 12-22-18, 08:08 PM
schiavonec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started again this year after a long hiatus. I keep a general time, but there are no personal best moments, STAVA accounts... Probably averaged %50 of the days given family schedule and obligations in temps from 12 to 108 in Colorado. Traffic lights and good fortune probably impact my time more than me dawdling or pushing the pace. I mix up trail, sidewalk, bikepaths and try to limit streets to residential areas as much as possible. Like most, life is busy and this allows for some exercise without having to plan for it or to fit it in.

The notable positives include seeing and feeling things. That Stellars Jay that is rare around here. Coyote pups. An owl on the hunt at dusk. There are also the other regulars: dog walkers on the same schedule, other commuters (more variety here). I even road past a "grow" house. Hey it is CO. The other thing that is interesting is that 20 degrees on the bike isn't as bad as 20% in the POS family minivan with a vacuum leak that only allows for defrost.

My only goal for 2019 is to keep on commuting when possible. I don't feel it is a religion, but that is OK. Per the financial comment, I just use what I have. I built up a an old mtb bike as a commuter and have 'paid' for it based on the price of fuel alone. I rebuilt most of it, and I'm debating on the shifters now. It has a milk carton zip tied to the rear rack as I hate the sweaty back feeling with a pack. Would I like another better commuter? Perhaps, but in the end, I don't think it will be that much better. Old cantis aren't the best in rain or snow for sure. I can take my cyclocross bike if desired, but it is nice to have a dedicated commuter with storage. It gets used to run my herding dog 2-5 miles a day 4-7 days a week too along with some errands when possible.

I pretty much have my clothes dialed in at every temp at this point, but large diurnal changes on the front range make it a challenge sometimes.

Last edited by schiavonec; 12-22-18 at 08:16 PM.