View Single Post
Old 12-23-18, 09:55 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Just a bit of daydreaming here...I was impressed with that black and white Canadian Superbe I mentioned earlier. Very fancy for a roadster. Different, but in a good way. Since this bike has the chrome ended fork, I'd be very tempted to do a total refinish of this bike and copy the black and white one. I might not be able to find a ready made "Superbe" transfer for the seat tube, but I'll bet I could find a font close enough to look good. My local sign shop could make up a nice vinyl transfer. White cable housings, white grips and , of course, a B66. Plus...I've been dying to buy a Beugler pin stripping tool and learn how to use it.
This bike arrived in my backyard in somewhat poor condition. The owner, a friend, had bought it the week before because he wanted the Dynohub front wheel.
As I started to remove the repaint (poorly painted blue with a brush) the original blue paint and decals were revealed.
Although I prefer a black bike I've decided to leave this one as is for the time being. It rides quite nicely although the front forks have a slight twist.
I suspect a result of someone reefing on the front with the lock engaged.
It would appear that these bikes had a two-part finish with a silver undercoat followed by a translucent blue top coat.
Original colour revealed.

As originally received: