Old 12-25-18, 12:15 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
My Dad Bought Me a Bike

Back in 1965 or so, my Dad bought me a bike. It was probably a Supercycle bought at the old Canadian Tire on Dundas. It looked something like this one.

Single speed with a coaster brake.

Even at $40.00 (1967 price), using the inflation calculator, it would equal about $320.00 today or close to half a week’s pay….

I liked my bike very much but by 1967 I really wanted one of these.

My dad and I went back to Canadian Tire, not to buy a new bike but to buy the accessories to convert my bike.

He repainted the frame in a nice sparkle finish green, added the ape hanger bars, new sparkle grips, a banana seat, sissy bar and perhaps monkey fenders.

The re styled bike was promptly stolen by some kid at school. We never locked our bikes back then. Somehow my Dad tracked it down and we went to this kid’s house to retrieve it. I’m not sure how my Dad found it or what happened to this bike afterwards, but I obviously out grew it and moved on to a bigger 10 speed.

Thanks Dad.
@gster: I too had the red coaster (26" wheels not the 24" wheel model).....flipped the bars and my friends and I "raced"....then I too *had* to have a banana bike - mine was from Eatons - here's a catalog picture of almost exactly my bike (I had a gold sparkle seat)....I really wanted a slick on the back to make use of all that SA 3 speed power!