Old 01-21-06, 03:56 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I remember reading somewhere......or someone told me......to get better at hills you have to do hills. I think there is a lot of truth to that.

The cadence is slower, power output much higher, speed ridiculously slower plus the mental aspects can be terribly challenging. You just think you hear voices now!!! Folks pass me on long climbs and wonder who the heck I'm talking to sometimes!

Eventually you should find that anything that reduces the weight going up the hills makes a noticeable difference. For rides with long climbs and hills I've lightened my bike, use lighter tires and wheels on mountain rides, lost body weight and changed my gearing to a 30/27 granny-all in the name of making it less effort. Don't laugh, but at the base of some mountains near a finish, I've even dumped fluids from my water bottle to lose a pound.

Climbing is also a lot about finding a cadence or rhythm that suits you. For longer climbs it probably helps to even change the position-like going from the saddle to standing-to change the leg muscles being used.

While hills can be tough, I'd take a hill over a headwind any day!! With the winds you ride in, you should be well prepared. Go get 'em!!