Old 12-26-18, 11:01 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Not trying to sound like a broken record, but ... The arched swing arm makes dropping the rear wheel out a snap. The drop-outs are vertical, so no change in tension out to back in. I think belts may be forgiving of some tension loss. They need to be snug, but not tight, so I suspect it could be managed. Especially if there was a lower roller that could be swung back into place to do the final tension ... Sort of like the chain guide roller (mini sprocket) used to prevent chain drops on MTB's ...
If only it were that easy. Belt systems require high belt tension. Tension levels so high that the belt can’t simply be pulled off or swung out of a dropout by hand. Once it’s put back together, it requires wrenches to reach the appropriate tension. They also require highly accurate alignment between the cogs. Very slight misalignment results in power robbing drag or the belt can creep off the cog. Again, these issues are easily resolved in the comfort of a well appointed garage, but at the curb armed only with the tools I could carry? I’m not convinced it’s “no big deal.”

Perhaps it’s reasonable to assume a temporary fix could be achieved at the curbside, with a revision once back in the garage. Experienced belt cyclists may have insight here.

-Kedosto