Old 12-28-18, 10:24 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 358 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat

It's a Category 3 climb. Sorry for the mental typo. Here is the guy's data for the full ride not just the 5.08 climb at the end of the ride. Bottom line for me and after checking with some others in the "neighborhood" the numbers and other evidence don't add up.

I don't understand what this thread is about.

This ride seems quite believable. The max heartrate of 207 is odd, but I often get some readings like that near the beginning of a ride, due to static electricity from my jersey.
152 watts weighted average is very good, yet still in a range that seems very possible for a rider that is in his mid 70s.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...the original post:
Originally Posted by BengalCat
I wasn't quite sure where to post this so I put it here in this forum:
​​​​​

The rider claims to be 76 years old and a long time avid cyclist. He can do a category 4 climb of 5.08 miles in 22 minutes averaging a HR of 178 with an average power up the climb of 232 watts with a max power output of 414 watts.

On the descent of the same hill, he is faster than not only everyone in his Strava age group (over 75) but is also faster than anyone from the next two lower age categories, (65-69 and 70-74.) He also hits on the descent a max heart rate of 165 and average power of 187 watts with a max of 804.

All of the above he does after he has already ridden 50 miles on semi-flat terrain.
On the above ride and other rides of his that I've checked he routinely hits a max HR of 195 to 204 on different segments or parts of his long rides.
I don't find the above credible for a 76-year-old rider. What do you think?
I'll skip the max HR data. It could just be reporting bad numbers from the HR strap.
Do you think it's actually a different very young rider with that high heart rate? A "Rent a KOM rider" service!

232 watts for 20 minutes is strong, but not unbelievable.
Then the 187 watts on descent is very good. I find that I often use much less power on descents, it's easy to slack off (or save the effort for the rest of the ride) and still have a quite fast speed. So if he kept the effort high, that might explain a downhill KOM. Favorable wind etc, too.

It's easy to hit 800 watts peak. I'm not strong, and I do that on many rides, just by standing up and doing two or three very hard pedal strokes.

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-28-18 at 10:43 PM.