View Single Post
Old 12-29-18, 07:33 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
I've yet to own a Lemond, but I certainly enjoy my steel racing bikes. It's easiest and often most cost-effective to buy a good condition and ready-to-ride example of a vintage bike. This is especially true if you live in a area that has a healthy supply of bikes offered on Craigslist.

I also tend to restore, update and ride each of my vintage bikes from 100 to 1000 miles a year. I like to do most of the work in the winter. Even my newer bikes will get a new chain and a tune-up at least once a year. I'll do minor rebuilds myself and I always select and source parts. I have also been a customer of The Bike Factory in Edwardsville, Illinois. Alec does great work, including some cosmetic detailing.

This Simoncini Cyclocross Special went from a 3x9 drivetrain with bar-end shifters to 2x10 Campagnolo Chorus. It came out very nice and is one of my favorite rides.

Another bike that also got the retro-roadie upgrade is the Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra. It went from 2x7 Dura Ace to 2x11 Ultegra. I have all the Dura Ace bits and could return it to 2x7 in an afternoon, but itís a great performer.

This Serotta Nova Special X went from a 3x8 Shimano drivetrain on this bike for 10 years, but I made a few component changes to convert it to 2x10.

​A few pictures of my Pinarello Gavia. The bike now has new replacement decals and a 2x10 Campagnolo drivetrain.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-29-18 at 01:05 PM.