Old 12-29-18, 06:00 PM
v8powerage

Bikes: Giant Cadex 980C

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
No Helmet

I was wondering when did wearing helmet while riding road bike become trendy, because I remember when only mtb'ers were wearing them, out of fear of hitting tree while riding on some forest trails.
I know that pros at tour de france wear helmets because they give some slight aerodynamic advantage, although they have lately such huge hair so not sure if the helmet can help much. Needless to say I don't wear any, my reasoning is that it is better to prevent than cure, it comes out of my bad experience when I fainted, because it traps hot air and that tight strap under your chin is not helping either. I think this is far far more likely than hitting anything with your head while on the bike. Since I'm riding for 10 years now 15 thousand km a year I can say out of my experience that helmet is not necessary while riding a road bike, I did have few accidents but to fall on your head you'd have to rollover, which is impossible on the bicycle. Each day I ride between cars through the city and I can't imagine having anything on my head, because with protounding helmet I'd be hitting every car's and truck's mirror and that is bound to give me concussion. You're naturally aware of your head's width but if you wear something that adds few cm's on either side then it spells trouble. Now I know about statistics but I also know that statistics are not real life and that is my experience, I think world is going towards eliminating any possible danger which in theory is good but it creates new unforeseen dangers, it's same with new cars and super thick pillars, sure they save you in case of rollover but they terribly obstruct the view which can cause an accident in first place, and one much more common than rollover, which happens very seldom.