horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Yet many people have seen and ridden handmade Japanese frames. 3rensho, Toyo, and others made many of the first production high end frames for Specialized, Ritchey, and a few other American brands. They also have made thousands of custom bikes under their own brands over the decades. Many frames exported but their own branded frames tended to stay domestic in Japan. Just because they weren't exporting as much as the Italians doesn't mean they are irrelevant or "esoteric". Nor does it mean that there's actually something special about the high end Italian bikes compared to the high end Japanese ones, besides the cultural infatuation that men of a certain age have for them.

I would highly recommend taking a few minutes to look through the pictures from this bike shop in Japan called Shinkai Cycle. The man has a constant stream of NOS classic Japanese handmade bikes coming through, whether racing frames, randonneuring, even some early MTBs here and there. There are some amazing bikes. LINK
Thanks for the link.

I'd wager most American buyers, including yours truly, have little awareness of anything other than mass-produced Japanese bikes. I think it would be great to learn about lesser-known Japanese brands and their availability. Enlighten us.

I love my Ironman, BTW.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports