View Single Post
Old 12-30-18, 05:05 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Show up to a group ride on anything but Italian and you spend a lot of time explaining how your bike compares to Italian. It is the basis of how everything else is judged.

I have Campagnolo and Suntour equipped bikes. If I want to get more serious about speed, I choose the Suntour equipped bikes. I do not have to worry about tightening the down tube shifters every 20 minutes and the brakes work better. My Campagnolo bikes look so pretty though.

Edit: I love all of my bikes. I do believe there is a perception that the bike worth more is the better bike. Not always true. It is just worth more. Riding a bike that is associated with a special team or builder can make one feel better than riding a bike that may be just as good but no history. Puts a bigger smile on the face. More pride in the ride.

The same can be said of those that do not make the investment. One can feel a sense of inferiority about their ride. Get a chip on their shoulder. Always dream about how much better that other bike must ride.

I have had quite a few bikes come through the door. I have discovered there are no real differences as long as you have good wheels and tires. Some just make you feel better about yourself.

Last edited by Steve Whitlatch; 12-30-18 at 06:13 PM.