Old 12-30-18, 10:15 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
That was most of the important parts, except for the brakes/levers. There were Sprint pedals, but I don't think pedal spec was as important as ders/shifters/brakes. Don't think there was a Sprint seatpost or headset, but I also think there was even less consumer concern about seatpost/headset labels in 1987.

The lack of Sprint brakes/levers was a result of DiaCompe undercutting Suntour by offering Schwinn non-Sprint DiaCompe product for a little less money. I was at the product meeting when it happened, and afterwards the Suntour crew was furious. It was supposed to be a unified pitch, DC was not supposed to even mention any non-group alternatives, but they did, and Schwinn took the bait. There was bad blood between Suntour and Yoshigai for quite a while over that Schwinn spec.

It should be noted that those spec decisions were made by OE product managers, so Schwinn felt safe spec'ing non-Sprint brakes/levers. They didn't see enough value added from a unified Sprint group to warrant the extra dollar or three it might have cost for Sprint brakes, levers and pedals.

I should probably also mention that, at that time, Schwinn was hemorrhaging market share, in all product categories, in the US market. So I couldn't say their product managers were at the top of their game. Schwinn was rapidly losing market share to everybody, but especially to Trek. Trek surpassed Schwinn in units sold in the US in '86, and they only had 2 product mgrs for the entire line. Schwinn had 8-10 prod mgrs, 2 for each product category: one for US production, one for Taiwan. Trek sent 4 guys to Japan for the product meeting: the prod mgrs, pres and CFO. They flew coach and stayed in a mid-priced hotel in downtown Osaka. Schwinn flew in 12-13 people, including all the product guys, business class, and they all stayed at the Osaka Hilton. It was pretty clear to me that Trek would grow and Schwinn would struggle.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
The catalog says hubs, crankset, derailleurs, and shifters. The rest was hodgepodge.