View Single Post
Old 12-31-18, 06:48 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
If you buy Campy and it doesn't work for you, maybe you are misapplying it, or maybe it has a flaw. But hey: it's 40 years old, and you can find good instructions if you look. On Youtube? Maybe not. But Campy did provide the knowledge required.
The NR rear mech is the AK-47 of the cycling world. It keeps working when other rear mechs die, and was a legend in its day. That day came and went. Most NR mechs on the market now are in middling condition, with cracked pulleys being a condition of ownership. Nuovo Record and Super Record shift like Toonces the Cat drives (not very well). NR requires you to over-shift rear cogs, with greater amounts of over-shift required for smaller cog sizes. The practical lower end limit is 14T. Corncob freewheels work better than wide-ratio freewheels. I'm not the only person who has observed these limitations with the old original GS/R/NR/SR design.

Full disclosure - I've owned and managed enough Campagnolo NR, SR, Record-C stuff to know how to adjust it. I once owned an SR-equipped Colnago. I have an Ideor Asso with NR mechs in the stable right now. That bike has a Rally rear cage and is set up as a 3 x 6 triple. All of the gears work on the Ideor, just the same as all of the gears worked on the Colnago. When I ride the Ideor I expect to have to finesse the gear changes. I also expect the rear mech to resist changes from the 14T to the 13T cog. Were the bikes equipped with SunTour I would not need to compensate at all - the shifts would just occur, without drama or need for finesse.