Old 12-31-18, 12:01 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Considering a Stages Left (non DS) arm for campagnolo bike, for a couple main reasons.. Cost, campagnolo compatibility, and can keep my Speedplays.

Couple of questions for anyone in the know:
1) Accuracy of these being only 1 sided?

2) Is there any reason (aesthetics aside), I couldn't opt to get the 12S Record crankarm (link below) and use on my 2015 Chorus 11S drivetrain? Yes, I realize that the crankarms wouldn't match, but i'd look at this a future-proofing move, and it's only $100 more than a similar Chorus 11s Stages arm. Link below does have a little red tagline to effect of "*This power meter is only compatible with Record 12 Speed.", but the compatibility section seems to indicate otherwise.

https://store.stagescycling.com/GEN-...ECORD?length=5
Sy,
One arm versus two arm PM accuracy has been discussed in some length here and maybe you can dig out a thread or two on the subject to forge your opinion. Opinions vary on the efficacy of one versus two arm. Me personally, I think one arm is ok and if a price break in particular maybe worth it for an amateur racer or training cyclist...but others disagree.

Very high probability new 12s Record crank arm will be compatible with other 4 spoke Campy UltraTorque cranks including Chorus. Reason is BB dimensions dicate the geometry and Campy UT is pretty much universal 25mm dia with standard hirth joint.

But don't want to lead you astray in spite of being a Campy owner because I don't know for sure.

I believe for best advice, send a PM to Graeme who is the Campy expert on this forum and who works in the industry in Europe. He is a wonderful guy and encyclopedic about cross commonality.

His user is: gfk_velo

A last note. I own Campy cranks and among them I believe UtraTorque is the only Campy crank to own. But, my preference is Shimano cranks from DA to 105. For my money, if running Stages, it would be an Ultegra 8000 crank. To me Shimano cranks are the best in the industry. I even mix and match Shimano and Campy on different bikes. I prefer Shimano brakes as well. But love Campy shifter ergos.

I would say many won't mix their groupsets. To me this is merely false adherence to fashion and not function. My opinion.

Good luck in what you decide and Happy New Year.