Old 12-31-18, 08:30 PM
slowrevs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Which Dominates? Belts or Chains?

Originally Posted by alanf
Just curious about belt drives. How do they compare with chain?
Efficiency, Weather resistance, Slippage, longevity

Anything else?
A couple of years ago I learned about belt drive bikes from a fellow I know who has one. He uses it for commuting and its a very pricey rig. He liked the convenience and its "look." It was and is, from my perspective, quite limiting, as he only has one forward speed, variable only through the application of leg power. No cassette or variable gear ratios. No differentiation from the chain wheel side either.

He told me Gates Rubber made the belt, so I called the product manager at Gates who explained a little about it to me. Offered as a low maintenance, long life option for single speed bikes. There were no plans to attempt gearing with the belt drive, and he knew of no attempts by anyone at the time.

If you want to do a lot of riding and one speed is sufficient for your needs, then I guess they are all right.

Properly designed and manufactured drive belts are durable and long lasting if not abused. Gates Rubber Co. is probably the best maker of industrial drive belts in the world. Their premium grade products outlast alternatives by orders of magnitude. They are the only things I use when it comes to automobiles and trucks.