Old 01-02-19, 09:14 AM
Hailstorm_7

Bikes: 2019 Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, 2017 Advocate Cycles Sand County, 2016 Surly Disc Trucker, 2011 Specialized Tarmac SL3 Expert Double, 1996 Sancineto, 1989 Cinelli Corsa "Mens Sana," 1985 Peugeot PGN-10 Galibier, 1974 Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 14 Posts
Like many, I once turned up my nose at the idea of a motorized or pedal-assist bicycle. That mindset has since changed. First, it's going to be an entirely personal choice. No one's forcing me or tugging my leg to convert to a pedal-assist bike. Those who want them will seek them out. Secondly, most manufacturers of quality models (Trek, Specialized, etc.) are sticking to pedal-assist function, not solely motorized. Sure you may get up to 20 mph or even 30 depending on the model, but you'll be pedaling to do so; it's still exercise. As many have already pointed out, there are demographics for which these bikes are perfect. It could be those with disabilities or elderly individuals. Or, it could be those who would love to participate in group rides or events but may be just shy the natural prowess to keep up or clear the elevation. If a pedal-assist mountain bike is the thing that gets a guy out riding with his friends when he would otherwise pass up the chance because he thinks he's just going to get dropped, I'll walk hand in hand with him down to the bike shop. (And shame on his friends if they exclude him or roll their eyes simply because he's on an e-bike.) Same goes for someone considering commuting to work via bike but fears arriving sweaty or late because of the distance. I would rather put them on an e-bike than have them continue driving. My older friend told me how she was going to have to stop riding her bike because of health issues and simple aging. I immediately told her about e-bikes. The simplest concerns can often stall the choice, and e-bikes are helping people overcome those concerns. A pedal-assist e-bike is still a bicycle, and why in the hell would we ever not encourage that?! So, consider me 100% pro-e-bike. Proudly so.