Old 01-03-19, 06:57 PM
Nu2Miele

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Small acts...

Originally Posted by obrentharris
When my friend Charlie suffered a major injury Rivendell helped him out in a big way.

I'm not sure I have ever bought anything from Rivendell nor do I know if I will ever redeem my $10 but I appreciate their continued and faithful support of cycling and of a segment of cyclists who, until recently, were not being served by others.

Small acts of altruism do not require a cost benefit analysis.
Brent
Just thought I'd add a comment:

as human beings, shouldn't we strive to be better? Small acts can have a significant effect on so many. Recently a fb friend posted what one of her friends (IRL), does when out for a meal (usually in a family type restaurant). She and her husband look around for a family that could maybe use a little help. Secretly they buy the family's meal (usually 4 meals, but sometimes more). They do this to remind themselves how tough it was when their kids were small and money was tight, and how often folks who might not really be able to afford to eat in a restaurant sometimes do as some sort of small celebration.

Another one: in Calgary (Alberta) there is a rustic pizza place that get's it "right". The wife is a baker, and all dough is scratch made. Custom, made to order pizzas at a very reasonable price (sorry can't recall the name of it). Posted on their door is a 8 1/2" x 11" sign: "If you are hungry, come inside, and be our guest. No one needs to go hungry". Anyone who states that they are hungry and have no money will recieve a hot meal, with not obligation to work for the meal or repay them at a later date. Of course they consider whether you pulled up in a new Jag, or other luxury car, or are obviously not broke.

As indicated in the quote posted above,
When my friend Charlie suffered a major injury Rivendell helped him out in a big way.
To me this is what a community is about, or should be. So if Grant finds the coffers a little shy, why (as cyclists) would we not want to help? Certainly Rivendell coud put say a 8 month time limit on using a gift certificate to help allieviate some of the problems, but a crowd sourced "loan" is not the worst. What kills me is when a plea goes out fom a known established business that is flourishing, to introduce their "newest, biggest, baddest" product looking to cover their engineering costs. I know this is not the case with Rivendell. Their products are curated, looking for the best of a particular product of its type from around the world, and other than (perhaps colour) change year to year for the sake of change (not because the change offers an improvement or increased value.