Old 01-08-19, 02:24 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
To the best of my knowledge, Columbus never provided actual weight restrictions. The best I've seen them provide is vague classifications for light, medium or all riders. As previously suggested, it's not just a matter of weight, but also pedaling style and how aggressively you ride. However, if you like the ride of MAX, then you'll probably find EL-OS too flexible unless you buy something like a De Rosa Primato, where the lateral bottom bracket stiffness is augmented by the special shell design.
I've seen/heard some quite varied interpretations of the intent of EL OS specifically in terms of usage and rider size/weight, i.e. ranging from claims that it was intended for lightweights and climbing (perhaps muddling Genius, which had shorter butted ends to save weight, and EL OS?) to claims that it falls short of the legendary stiffness of MAX but had very strong (and not necessarily dainty) riders in mind. From what I'm reading here, I'm guessing you'd tend more towards the latter interpretation?

Based on 'stats' alone only 100g less total claimed tube set weight than Max, deploying Nivacrom and OS tube diameters (even with thin centre sections), I reckon it's fair to say that EL OS should be both reasonably stiff and fairly robust? I've certainly been told as much by a few folks who've owned EL OS machines.

As you suggest, not so stiff and robust as MAX, but I reckon that's a high bar of comparison.

In any case, while I have never had the opportunity to ride EL OS before, I should be able to weigh in with some first-hand thoughts on the matter soon. Currently building up an EL OS Ryffranck, which I expect to be at least adequately stiff under my 250-265lbs given the robust-looking chainstays, OS tubes, and the Freuler-style geo of my particular frame (relatively smaller leve-TT main triangle with HT and ST extensions to fit a taller rider). I have had to pass on a few frames over the years due to excessive frame flex (e.g. a 1980s 531C Proctor and a Kuwahara-made high-end Apollo ca. 1980), but expect I'm going to like this one.

Once I get some 11sp wheels spun up to complete my build I'll see if my surmise is reasonable, I suppose. I'll be sure to chime back in here!