View Single Post
Old 01-09-19, 12:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
The trick might be to use curbside check in. I did this in Pittsburgh and there was no problem.
Heh. Many years ago I had what I thought was a great plan when I had to fly with my bike. The flight was at a popular time, so I figured that curbside check in fellow might be extremely busy and might not think to charge me the $75 bike fee. Arrived by cab and, sure enough, he was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Gave him my bike box and gear bag and was not charged a thing. Proceeded to security with a "I just got over, big time, smile on my face. Just as I made it though security I heard my name over the PA system. I was being paged to come to my gate. When I got to the gate, an airline agent told me I hadn't paid the bike fee. I told her I was never asked to pay a fee. She happily took my credit card and charged me right there on the spot. At that time, the screening machine at the terminal I entered was close to the curbside check in location. Because the airport did not have large machines, the TSA agent opened the box. The airline agent told me that the check in guy just happened to walk by when the box was open, saw the bike and alerted her.