View Single Post
Old 01-09-19, 09:08 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by pesape View Post
I'm thinking of getting a new bike and am leaning towards the Diverge but wanted to get some opinions on specific models.

I currently have a Specialized Secteur Elite that I bought new roughly 5-6 years ago. The bike shop recommended that one for someone just getting into a road bike and for someone with my preference for ride location. We have miles and miles of wide paved walking/biking trails in KC that take you through woods, by creeks, etc. that I greatly prefer over true riding on the road. That bike was ~$1400-$1500.

That information is key as it relates to why I'm leaning towards the Diverge and why I'm trying to decide on which model. I never road in the winter due to cold weather, and with a little kids at home, it was also hard to be gone for a few hours riding as much as I'd like. Because of that, about a year and half ago, I bought a trainer and hooked up my bike to that. I now use it everyday on the trainer for cardio during normal workouts. Given that I use the trainer so much, I don't want to mess with taking it off, buying a new rim and tire to switch out the training tire, riding, and then doing putting it all back together. Leading to me wanting a new bike...

I found out that the Diverge is basically the Secteur (or replaced it a few years back). I was checking out bikes last year but in looking at the Diverge and Roubaix, I learned that the 2018 Diverge would basically be a 'new' model. I also wasn't sure the Roubaix would really be the right bike for what I wanted. While I wouldn't mind the option of a possible group ride, again my main purpose will be paved bike paths though those could be slightly muddy or have some lose dirt or gravel in spots.

Fast forward to now... the 2018 Diverge looks like the best bike to suit my needs, and it seems to be reviewed quite well. The wider tires are throwing me, but the reviews say it might only be a hair lower than a Roubaix (for example).

So the question... as we know, bikes aren't cheap. I'd want to take the logical step up from my Secteur, but I'm not sure how much is appropriate. I'm looking at two models. The Diverge Sport ($2100) - I don't URL privilege, sorry- and the Diverge Comp ($3000) - . $2100 is a lot of money, but I feel like I can justify that. $3,000 on the other hand starts to get into the "I feel guilty spending this" range. On a superficial level, the white on the Comp is slick looking.

I am not educated on the mechanics though. Are the mechanics on the Comp that much better than it'd make sense to go ahead and spend the extra money? I'd like to get a good enough bike that I will want to use for the long haul and not want to upgrade in a few years. I'm not sure if both of these bikes fall into that 'good enough' range or not.

Opinions?
How wide of a tire do you need. That will be the main differentiating factor. Alu diverge can accept up to 35?mm. Carbon a bit wider than that. Secteur: 28 or 32 max.

The diverge may or may not offer a futureshock. You can add on a suspension stem to your current bike for $140.

$2100: probably mechanical disc, 10 speed, 35 or 38 mm tires.

$3K: hydraulic? 11 speed? 40 mm tires?

$3K is a lot of coin for paved paths with a little loose dirt. Try wider tires and redshift suspension first: $100 + $140 = $240. Savings of over $3K assuming tax.