Old 01-10-19, 10:10 PM
base2 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Copying isn't theft. It's copying.

Copying doesn't deprive the owner of the rights of ownership, he still has his copy safely in a vault and can do whatever he wants with it. He can set it on fire if he wants to, & that's fine.

All work is derivative.

To wit, to show the absurdity of the music industry argument: My claim is I invented the "stick figure." Now I want a royalty check from any human on Earth that drew a stick figure. You are depriving of my right to a life of luxury because I arranged a circle, 4 lines representing arms & legs and a single vertical line for a body. I am a better & original artist, therefore I am excused from a 40 hour/week job. I am an artist. I drew it. You & you're 4 year old stole it.

Music is 12 notes. Circles & lines on paper. What the music industry wants is to monetize a product they release to the public, essentially to sell the same product over & over that isn't even theirs anymore. That doesn't work with groceries, gasoline, bicycles, or any other product produced by man. Why should it for skimming profit off of cultural, societal interactions?

To make duplicating a product I bought illegal, deprives me of MY rights of ownership. I could duplicate my kitchen table if I want to. I could also make changes as I see fit. I don't think many carpenters would deny my right to do so. Why music?

That being said, at least handle bars are a real, physical, real world product. The bars themselves exist. The name on the bars is a gross misrepresentation & ought to be not sold as a point of dis-honesty.

Last edited by base2; 01-10-19 at 10:29 PM.