Old 01-11-19, 03:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 69 Posts
Sounds like you could benefit from a patient mentor.

If there's a support group in your community or an online support group you could ask for referrals to prospective mentors.

BTW, your writing skills are very good. You can express yourself clearly. That's a good sign. Nobody can write clearly without also having the ability to learn verbally, whether orally or in writing. You may be underestimating your capabilities. That's easy to understand. A lifetime of frustrations can reinforce a negative self image.

And if you can't find an experienced bike mechanic as a mentor, here's another thought...

Do you know anyone who does have the patience to work with you at your own pace? If so, that's really all you need to develop a partner in learning to repair bikes. You and a mentor can learn bike repair together. If a partner can learn quickly from online tutorials -- videos or written and illustrated instructions -- he or she can then interpret and share alongside you while you work together. The ability to learn something new and explain it clearly to another person is more important than being an expert but unable to teach.

I know it works because that's how all military training is done. Learn one; show one; teach one. We learned a new skill from an experienced instructor. We then showed the instructor that we understood the lesson. Then we turned around, traded places, and taught what we'd learned to reinforce the lesson. Some of my fellow military trainees also had learning disabilities or language barriers -- some of my Navy shipmates were from other countries and spoke English as a second language but weren't familiar with idiomatic expressions and informal English. This learn/show/teach technique was powerfully effective.

Best wishes. You can do this.

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
[MENTION=494157]...One thing about Asperger's is that it allows a person to get hyper-focused on certain details. That can both be good and bad. One can learn all the intricate details of something. Yet, one can also "Miss the Forest for the Trees."...
That's a pop culture myth about superpowers. Akin to the myth that blind people have heightened audio awareness, etc. There's little evidence that people outside the norm/mean for senses and cognitive abilities develop compensatory superpowers. And that myth tends to undermine the confidence of real people with real disabilities who feel robbed somehow because nature didn't compensate with superpowers.