Old 01-13-19, 05:38 AM
Pulsify

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Campag4life @Maelochs

I'm blown away by the support in this thread. Thanks to everyone for their input, on both sides, I read everything. I think the overall advice from those of you who are much more experienced than me, is that I need to go a size up. I'm confident this is the right choice so I'm going to call Canyon on Monday to initiate an exchange. For me $1,700 is not a drop in the bucket so it's important I do this right.

For a few reasons: 1) my gut instinct tells me it's probably too small and that means something; 2) there's a heck of a lot of seat post exposed as others have pointed out; 3) the reach is probably too short; 4) my torso is too far over the handlebars; 5) I'm not a competitive cyclist, so cramming myself into a smaller than necessary frame won't do me any good on those century long rides; 6) I can still get a relatively competitive or relaxed fit with a size up depending on how I utilize the spacers and stem; 7) a taller head-tube would be a nice addition. 8) a size up only adds 10mm of top tube, and 3mm of reach. I'll be back in a week or two when the new bike arrives with a fresh picture - HA!

Worst case scenario, I could hypothetically make a size medium mimic a size small. The stack difference between the two is 22mm, and the size medium has 25mm of spacers that I could remove. The reach difference is only 4mm with the medium having a 10mm longer top tube, which I could make up for with a shorter stem (say a 80/90mm). Voila. I won't be getting any smaller than that anyways.

I test rode an Allez in size 56cm today. Here's how the specs compared:
Reach 385 (Allez 56) 383 (Canyon Medium)
Stack 596 (Allez 56) 587 (Canyon Medium)
Top Tube 564 (Allez 56) 556 (Canyon Medium)
Seat Tube 530 (Allez 56) 532 (Canyon Medium)

All in all, a pretty close match, and I felt great riding it. My first bike was an Allez (2017), with a more aggressive stack/reach. The reason I'm going Canyon is because of the added disc brakes (I live in the PNW with lots of hills and rain) and the style. I love their bikes. I'm glad I took a test ride to compare (don't worry I'll end up getting a fit from that bike shop).

Last edited by Pulsify; 01-13-19 at 06:09 AM.