View Single Post
Old 01-16-19, 09:15 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
My daughter, a cash-strapped PhD student in Ireland, claims it would be selfish to bring more consumers into the world for her and her man's personal amusement. I have tried to convince her that producing more high-functioning people from stable families is a service to humanity. Her counter is that she is concerned with the wider ecosystem. I don't think selfishness-altruism dimension explains much about this issue.

Data suggest that millenials are also having less sex than boomers did at that age. Is this due to social media and networked devices, as some like to claim, or are there basic socio-biological forces at work?
I've read that too about less sex overall.

The general consensus seems to be that society is changing, and not for the better. Increasing inequality is demanding that households have two earners, and that each works harder and longer than in decades past. As noted above, this leaves less time for 'fun,' of various types. It seems social media is having an impact as well that is not completely understood yet.