Old 01-16-19, 10:36 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Oddly, even though I live in Performance land of the US.......Raleigh/Cary where the base is, I don't frequent them much for other than an emergency tube/tire.

The staff is often Walmart stupid. I tried to shop for my bike there cross shopping a Transonic and a Propel. I asked if they had a Transonic in 105 build and looked at me cross eyed and started trying to figure out what groupsets even were.

I think with rents and labor costs where they are, these type stores need to move into self-checkout like the grocery stores for the cheaper/consumables. Under $50.

Hell, Europe has tube and tire VENDING MACHINES for a long time.

I see lots of managerial oversight in brick/mortar stores also. In the middle of the day on a week day why do you need more than 2 people present in a Performance store?

I'm guessing lots of places ship bike boxes to stores to build. That's some expensive labor doing that. Why not figure out a safe/cost effective shipping method and have lower cost bike builds at a central hub?

I don't think these businesses "think LEAN", you know the manufacturing principle, when thinking about their processes.

Also, why the **** is a Performance or most any other bike shop (or most any brick/mortar) open even 10-6 on normal work weeks? The average consumer is coming in from 10-5 on a Saturday or 1 to 5 on a Sunday.

Lean that staffing and hours down. Why be open 7 days a week?

I think if you mapped sales and traffic at these stores they could whittle hours/staffing down to the below and still net 99% of their revenue:

-Friday 4:30 to 7:00 PM
-Saturday 9:00 to 7:00 PM
-Sunday 12:30 to 7:00 PM

Then have a solid website or call-in # to schedule appointments otherwise for bike viewing/fits.

For when closed, have the European vending machine of tires/tubes and cheap stuff outside the shop doors.