kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by perspiration
... Do you have other makes of crankset that you'd recommend I check out?
For bar-ends or down-tube shifters I’d go with Rivendell Silver shifters, and for triple chainsets I’d look at Sugino, IRD, VO & Rene Herse if money is no object. Those manufacturers all have 10 speed options with a near infinite combination of chainrings. For square taper bottom brackets, I like the IRD QB-95. IRD also makes a roller bearing headset that’s worth a look.

If you want a double with brifters there’s a whole thread on 46-30 chainsets that you should check out, but you’ll have to trade low gears for narrow spacing if you use a wide cassette. Not important to some people, but I’ll take narrow spacing over low gears every day of the week. Since a triple can do both, that’s what I run on my long-distance bikes.

If you want a triple with brifters, your only new options are Tiagara or Microshift. Both perfectly adequate but pretty low on the bling factor. Of those two, I’d get Microshift because I’ve stopped buying anything Shimano since they started shutting down retail imports to the US. If you could find an old campy triple setup like a racing triple or the recently discontinued Campy Athena triple 11-speed groupset, that would be a great option for a long-distance bike IMO.