Old 01-19-19, 03:10 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Pacific Cycles BSO's are engineered by idiots.

My "Schwinn" Discover has the pedals threaded incorrectly. It has the reverse thread on the left-hand side and the normal thread on the (right-hand) drive side when the threads should be vice-versa.

Discover is a good name for my bike because I have discovered the hard way how much different this "Schwinn" branded thing is from the Schwinn of old. I put new pedals on the other day and the one on the left unscrewed as I was pedaling down the bikeway. I had to use the 15 mm wrench I had to tighten it back up. My heart desires a Cannondale Quick 6 hybrid in the future but my budget sense says otherwise. I hope Cannondale engineers are smarter than that

I thought about switching the crank arms from one side to the other so the correct pedal threads would be on correct sides but the young "bike mechanic" at my local "bicycle project" shop assures me that can't be done.

I put oil on the pedal threads to inhibit rust which may cause them to not stay snug in place. If this pedal unwinding continues to be an issue I will cement the threads with blue Lock-Tite. I still want to see if I can't flip-flop crank arms first.

It pays NOT to "Discover" a China-made Schwinn-branded bike these days.

PS - Avoid Discover Card (Discover Bank, Salt Lake City, UT, Mormon-based scam artists) too like the plague. My lawyer is now suing them for $10,000 for violating the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act against me. I will gladly settle for $5 grand and then buy my dream Cannondale.

Last edited by JonBailey; 01-19-19 at 03:21 PM.