Old 01-22-19, 06:50 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 749 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
.................. I am now convinced more than ever that we Westerners eat way too much food. Everyone hears that about eating way too much food, but it's one thing to hear about it and another to experience it. I now am very conscious of not eating too much and at times I do very long rides and such on an empty stomach.

However, with that said, I see weightlifting and other exercises very important for us ageing folks, simply because if we don't we will lose muscle mass, no matter how good our diet is we will lose it, if we don't use it. You can eat all the quality protein in the world, but if you're not exercising your muscles, they will get weaker and weaker, until you have a fall or some other negative effect of an ageing body.

BTW, here's a great article on exercising on an empty stomach

https://www.triathlete.com/2014/06/n...-machine_31034
Several months ago, I went to a couple online sites that had formulas for determining your daily calorie requirements for a given gender, age, and weight. With Male, age 72 and 180 as a goal, they all said I should eat 2,000-2,500 cals a day. Had my annual physical and mentioned this to my MD. She said that was too high and I should use 1800 cals. I was thinking, "How the hell can I do that?" Then I went to a low carb diet (not Keto) and, now, if I go over 1800 cals I feel like I've pigged out. I'm convinced that you are right...generally we eat too much. It doesn't help that we eat so much sugar and processed food either.