Thread: C&V Helmets?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-19, 12:37 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
The thing about modern 'retro' helmets is that they are all look like they'd be too hot and poorly ventilated to be used for actual sport riding. I admit I rarely rode with a helmet BITD. The only ones that really were effective helments, Bell Bikers, were too hot and heavy for me. I suppose it depends a lot on your local climate. California can be pretty hot.

I had a Skid Lid early on. Those weren't too bad. Crash protection probably not the best, though IMO it would still have been 10x better than nothing. Ventilation was OK. Later on I got a Brancale 'sport' for racing, because juniors races were pretty brutal at the time. Hot, but at least it was hardshell. Lots of intentional crashing and hooking went on. Most people still wore hairnets, most of which were useless against preventing anything other than minor abrasions, but they did vary greatly. Many were nothing more than useless other than fulfilling the requirements. The Kucharik Super Helmet was reasonably substantial and provided at least some protection.

Anyway, C&V helmets pretty much all sucked. That's why so many didn't wear them, BITD. Modern helmets are amazing, and that's what I wear now. I do wish there were some that were a bit less over-styled. I have a black Giro Atmos with all the stickers stripped off. Not too ugly.