View Single Post
Old 01-23-19, 11:04 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,312 Posts
I would be interested in the geometry numbers of these bikes. Both the ones that don't feel stable and those that do. I have (on long term loan so not available for me to measure) a Raleigh Twenty (as opposed to the folding DL-20) and don't remember it's no hands stability. Although I have had far less challenges riding various bikes no handed, including on rollers, then many people I know have. So my opinion about this aspect might not be in the center of the bell curve.

The comments about slacking the head angle would support my view of small wheels need greater inherent stability then many might think.

As an aside- The Moulton front racks are different then the current trend of front racks. Today (and for decades on front bags on touring bikes) we see a lot of larger front loads that steer with the ft wheel. If fact I don't know of any current bikes, excepting Moultons, that don't have their ft racks mounted onto the fork (but I haven't done any searching about this). But the Moultons have their ft racks mounted to the frame, the rack remains stationary with the frame. So when turning the rack weight doesn't remain centered over the tire's contact patch or ft axle. Again I have not done any research about this load/rack difference. I've just known of it for decades and sometimes think about it. Andy