Old 01-25-19, 08:51 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
a set of shimano pads lasts you 8000 miles? Resin? I get around 1000 out of a set of fronts and double for the rear, but we do get a lot of rain and quite a few hills around here
Yes, no problem at all. I've never worn them down near the backing. And I live in an extremely hilly area -- base of the Cumberland Plateau / Smoky Mountains -- but I rarely have to use my brakes. Maybe that's the difference. Do you live in a city or suburb where you have to use your brakes every block or every mile? I mentally went through a 70-mile ride that I take at least once per month from my home. In those 70 miles, there are 6 stop signs and 3 stop lights. The descents are 8% to 15%, but there aren't stops at the bottom -- no reason to use brakes. When I ride gravel, I tend to steer using the rear brake, so those pads wear more quickly -- but I don't ride nearly as many miles on gravel, so those pads still last a year or two. If you live in a more congested area, you probably use your brakes a lot more times per mile than I do. (I probably average about 1 brake application for every 10 miles.)