View Single Post
Old 01-29-19, 09:50 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I just realized that I hadn't updated this thread since I fixed up my '76 Grand Jubile in Reynolds 531. She's been a real labor of love. I put in almost 2000 miles on her last year, mostly bike commuting. Easily the finest bike I've ever ridden.

Lots of little changes, but much is still stock. The original pedals were in need of a rebuild, so I used a set of MKS Sylvans that look great. The original toe clips were lost, so I replaced them with MKS toe clips and M-Wave black leather straps. The Pivo stem and handlebar were swapped for a Nitto Technomic and Nitto Noodle. The brake levers were swapped for a set of Tektro RL341 short reach levers; and in an act of heresy I threw on a set of Tektro RL720 cross levers as well. My old Brooks B17 topped it off. I tried a few different bar end plugs, but finally settled on some champagne corks.

I rode the original tires until the sidewalls cracked, and then tossed on some 27" X 1 1/4" Panaracer Pasela Pro-Tites. While I was at it, I tracked down some original reflectors off of eBay, added the brass Crane bell, and the Zefal HPX-4 frame pump. The Velo Orange Moderniste bottle cage moved around a lot, but finally settled in on the down tube.

I'll be tearing down the cockpit in the next few weeks, to install a shorter Nitto Technomic stem, new brake cable and Brooks black microfiber bar tape. I should also have a look at the bottom bracket, while the bike is torn down, but could use some advice on that. I don't really know what I'm getting in to on the bottom bracket.

I'm also considering changing the brake calipers. I love the idea of keeping the original Weinmann brakes, but they're just so weak, even with Kool Stop salmon pads. And I happen to have an old set of Shimano 600 sidepull calipers that are far stronger. I'm conflicted.

PS - Forgot to mention that I had to swap out the absurdly short seat post for a Kalloy 26.6x350mm post. My legs are freakishly long.

Last edited by AlmostGreenGuy; 01-29-19 at 10:03 AM.
Likes For AlmostGreenGuy: