View Single Post
Old 01-31-19, 08:19 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've taken almost everything off my 1971 Raleigh Super Course. It's been a very damp and wet year, and it showed me how damp the barn interior is. It's fortuitous timing that I took the bike apart now, because if I had waited another 6 or 12 months, it might have been too late. Every threaded fastener was grimy and corroded and was about to become seized. But since I caught it all in time, some cleaning and lubrication will have them working fine. The barn is in High Falls, NY, the next (colder) climate zone after New York City, so it gets cold at night there. And there is a lot of spider schmutz and other crap floating around.
Tom, what's your situation for the BB and chainset? I think that was the last year of Raleigh-specific threading, according to my cold-addled brain cells. On my much-earlier Rudge I nearly have my stuck cotters unstuck, and am thinking about how best to get a double chainring on there once I get it all cleaned up.