View Single Post
Old 01-31-19, 01:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by .popcycle.
It's not an anti-trust issue at all. It's a grey market issue.

The same thing has happened in many product segments over the years (i.e. camera gear).

Lots of good info out there:

https://www.inta.org/INTABulletin/Pa...rayMarket.aspx
My issues with Shimano, as stated above is multi-pronged anti-competition. Shimano refuses to sell direct to small and micro businesses, apparently to limit direct access sales, irrespective on whether the businesses are manufacturing including installing the Shimano parts on larger units/sub-units before sale.

The article you linked to was specifically about Copyright and Patent infringement.

It talks a lot about products being materially different than the products in the USA.

I can't guarantee that buying parts direct from China/Taiwan are not materially different than those sold in the USA.

However, other than minor selection differences, I don't believe there are any material differences beyond packaging between Shimano parts in Europe, Shimano parts in the USA, and OEM parts from most sources (non pantograph). I don't think the customers would put up with it, and it would be an extreme hardship on manufacturers building bikes in one country and selling them in another country, anticipating them to be supported in the destination country. Different Shimano factories?

Bianchi USA could well make a case for trademark/patent/copyright infringement for direct import Chinese frames bearing the "BIANCHI" name, but not built by BIANCHI. This is very different from selling parts made by Shimano in different countries.

You mention camera shops. It has been over a decade since I've had my last roll of film developed. Even professional photographers have moved away from film. I have no doubt the shops are suffering, and not because of Grey Market gear.

My cell phone is now a few years old, but it is as good as most pocket cameras.

4.3" display, 16 MP camera (4608x3456), 10X full OPTICAL Zoom.

I just don't have much of a need to shop for better cameras, or to carry my cell phone + a camera.

If I wanted "prints", I'd simply print them out with a cheap printer.