View Single Post
Old 01-31-19, 05:31 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by .popcycle.
Old news but some folks might not be aware of the dealer backlash here in the States:

Fred Clements: Dealers speak out about the "S"-Word

A blog by the NBDA's executive director.
Editor’s note: Fred Clements is the executive director of the National Bicycle Dealers Association. Clements’ previous blog posts can be read on bikedealerblog.wordpress.com.

By many measures, Shimano is one of the bicycle industry's great companies, consistently bringing product innovation and excellence to a willing marketplace.

But from the perspective of many independent bicycle dealers in the U.S., Shimano has become a huge problem, choking the life out of them by supporting distribution that leads to rampant Internet discounting from Europe.

Many say this makes it increasingly difficult for them to carry Shimano products without looking like price-gougers. Distributors face pressures from Shimano's policies as well as margins are squeezed, with some even developing their own brands to compete. Bike brands also see their products de-valued as original equipment Shimano components sell elsewhere for huge discounts, the same parts on new bicycles being offered at full price.

Many dealers say they are distancing themselves from Shimano, trying hard to support other component makers, and worrying about a future that allows European retailers to sell to American consumers below dealer cost.

In a recent article in Bicycle Retailer and Industry News, Shimano American management claimed it cannot do anything to control European distribution, a part of the world that doesn't allow MAP or MAP enforcement. Yet, other companies seem to control European distribution effectively.
</snip>

And finally, from New York: "We must be heard. No yelling, no screaming just our story. My story is that for Shimano, the pricing from Europe is untenable and unsustainable for the IBD. I will put forth this message to any Shimano representative any time I can. I will not be silent. I hope all of you can commit to being a squeaky wheel. The thing I hate the most is 'You are the first to bring that to my attention," or 'No other dealer has complained.'"
+1

So what you are saying is: The American industry groups are saying that Shimano's price controls on the American market are hard on independent small business owners as well. That their policy helps to squeeze out the little guy.

If the industry claims they are harmed, and I came to the same conclusion by way of a wholly different dataset...Well, It's good to know that I'm not a crazy ideological crank.