Old 02-01-19, 01:04 PM
mstateglfr
Sunshine

Bikes: '87 Miyata 912, '87 Schwinn Prelude, '90 Fuji Saratoga, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2787 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
What downside is there to more bottom bracket drop?

I just posted this elsewhere and immediately realized the sage wisdom on this forum would probably help a lot so I am breaking the rules and posting twice. Forgive me mods, for I have sinned.

My gravel bike has 70mm. A frame I am considering is 77mm. If I build a frame, I had figured I would just repeat the geometry of my current gravel bike so it would be 70mm.

More BB drop means you sit more 'in' the bike than 'on top' of the bike. And the stack height is effectively higher the lower the bottom bracket goes, so less spacers are needed to get the bars where you want. And there is more control with a lower BB drop which is also a good thing for gravel riding.

So all that seems like a plus. The only potential downside I can think of is pedal strike and I simply dont turn hard enough on gravel for that to be an issue.

Am I missing something and there actually is a big downside to 75+mm of drop?