View Single Post
Old 01-23-06, 04:53 AM
sula

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny enough I have ridden in loads of countries but this is a trip I keep meaning to do. I live in Edinburgh, well actually that a bit theoretical as I work in Kuwait, but we are getting off the subject.

1. security, you don’t want to be carrying big u locks about the country. Keep the bike where you can see it when possible. Don’t worry when you cant. Best lock I have found are short loops of wire for securing saddles to frames. I think Cryptonite make them. Get them in any good bike shop in UK. Get three of them and two small pad locks. You can join them all together to go round your wheels and lamp post or break them into a one and a two to go round a post and lock your pannier. Or any combination of the above. We use touring on a tandem if the are good for a tandem they are good for a single. A lock is to discourage a theft only.
2. First time tour. You will take to much stuff. Ridding a bike is fun. Pushing a wheel barrow is work. If you bike looks like a wheel barrow throw some stuff out. Basically dependent on how much cash you have you need a pump, spare tube and tooth brush.
3. Get some low riders. Don’t know what they are? Trust me you need them. Gets the weight up front on the bike and low down. Makes ridding and handling good.
4. Personally I like to get everything in the panniers. Get some stuff sack and organize your ****. Rain clothes in on, food in another etc. Break your tent into its bits and pack the bits separately. The should all go in a pannier. Even if the poles stick our a corner.
5. Get a brooks saddle, they look cool and feel great.
6. Buy some tire boots (ask in your bike shop) and take a pack with you. Take a spare tube and repair kit. Easier to swap a tube then fix a puncture in the evening that fanny about with patches and glue half way through a ride. Don’t bother taking a whole heap of tools. If something major goes you will never be that far from a bike shop. Those new fangled multi tools (cool tool) are good if you can afford on. If not a couple of Allan keys will do the job. Keep your tire pressure on the high side helps guard against punctures.
7. Get good shoes and shorts. Get the best shorts you can afford. Cheap MTB shoe are good for touring. I always take some light cotton trousers as evening wear. Cruising to the pub after a ride you can feel a bit foolish in cycling skins. Cotton trousers pack small are light and cheap.
8. Camping wise. If no one sees you; no one will mind. Wait until its dusk duck into a field when there are no cars about and put the tent up out of sight. Sod off early in the morning. All will be good. Odiously only in fields under pasture don’t go wading into the middle of a planted crop.
9. It rains in Britain. Make it easy on your self get some mud guards.
10. Petzel head torch. Great for reading in the tent plus is ok when ridding. Light weight and reliable.
11. Always, always have some spare food on the bike. Doesn’t matter what, mars bar, banana what ever.
12. Er, bit of a delicate subject but stay hygienic. Nappy rash is no fun take it from some one who has suffered the past. Wash shorts when ever you get the chance. Ie rinse them out each evening.
13. Make sure you can more around on the bike. To me this means drop bars, even on a mountain bike. If you are on a mountain bike at lest get some bar ends, helps to stop sore back neck wrists etc

Have a blast.