Old 02-01-19, 10:38 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
That sounds paranoid, to be honest. A few centuries ago, people loved to the ripe old age of 30, women died in child birth, people were horribly disfigured by diseases that people with access to medical care don't get, or barely suffer from. AIDS is no longer a death sentence. Compare the difference between ebola outbreaks here versus in Africa. Yeah, screw those lying medical people, what have they ever done for us.
Not paranoia, if that were the case I'd avoid doctors altogether. They have their worth at the proper times. The cure and prevention of communicable disease is one of those times.
Originally Posted by OBoile
I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not, but this was kind of my point. Yogurt vs. Dairy Queen Blizzard. Both "processed". One is generally considered healthy, the other isn't. There are probably at least 100 different ways carbs can be "processed". What types of processing lead to this inflammation that the ND referred to? Is a certain type of processing only bad when used on a certain type of carb? What type/method combinations are okay? A blanket statement like "processed carbs cause inflammation" is way to general in nature to be accurate. It's one thing to say something like this on a message board, but a health professional trying to convey information to a client should be more precise.
Most people will say "avoid carbs" when its more precisely stated as avoid processed carbs. Processed carbs, in this case, indicates those carbs that have the majority of their natural nutrition value removed or their molecular structure altered. Sugar would be the quintessential example of a highly processed carbs.

As for alternative medicine, any medicine that is not generally scientifically accepted in the medical community as treatment for most physical and mental maladies.

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
True, and the fact that other factors could be at play was openly advanced. But there was other evidence and studies cited besides just the Okinawa people that also pointed to higher carb diets being healthier than low carb diets. Especially long term.

The low carb diets are the latest "Lose weight quick" fad diets for people who ate poorly for years. Not a long term solution for optimum health.
When people refer to carbs as the culprit for weight gain they're referring primarily to simple carbs/sugars. Those things that are easily consumed and moved quickly through your digestive system. Complex carbs have to be chewed -- something Americans stopped doing a long time ago -- and take much longer to digest due to their natural high fiber content.