View Single Post
Old 02-02-19, 05:19 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Wozza2014
I hope your joking dude. It's a 19" hybrid, which is suitable for up to 5" 11. It rides well and that's all that matters at the end of the day and if I feel that it won't be cut out for the tour my dad said he wants it so I can't lose.
I have toured across the USA five times, and parts of Canada. I have seen all sorts of bikes out there including some REALLY low end department store bikes. Usually if they kept it light they did OK, and if not they generally had to replace the rear wheel at some point. In fact, my first tour of the Canada Rockies was on an $80 department store bike that I upgraded quite a bit. I kept it LIGHT and it worked just fine. 10-speed with NO small chainring. Granted I am a bit of a monster and can withstand a lot of discomfort but I have very fond memories of that tour and no horror stories. I even had my dog with me as she fit in my handlebar bag. And dog food.

All you need is a bike that is in decent repair. It's not rocket science. YOU are generally the weak link on a bike tour and the stupid weather plays a large part in the enjoyment of it.