Old 02-03-19, 05:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
This blog reproduces some older articles on Major Taylor, including a letter from Taylor to a newspaper asking for fair treatment.

Note that in the letter Taylor claims to be illiterate. I haven't been able to find any information confirming or refuting Taylor's education or literacy. But the letter reads like it was ghost written on Taylor's behalf, with his input. There are some telling phrases, including the ironic quotations around describing himself and his race as the "son of Ham."

If you're familiar with the history of Protestantism, primarily Baptists, in America's deep South and Midwest, you know the implication of that phrase. In many older religious books in early America, through the 1960s, and even from the pulpits, blacks were often referred to as "sons of Ham," a derogatory description based on a theory by racists that black Africans were literal genetic descendants of Ham, the son blamed for "shaming" a drunken Noah. In the most fevered paranoid theories, some who preached a racist doctrine claimed that Ham had castrated the drunken and sleeping Noah so that he'd never produce another rival white son. My ex-father-in-law, a fairly typical Southern Baptist farmer and minister, had a library of older religious books that speculated on these racist themes. To his credit, my ex-FIL disagreed with those theories and I never heard him say anything that could be considered racist. He merely regarded those older books as important to the history of his denomination.

I don't think he's using "illiterate" to mean incapable of writing or reading, but in the sense of being "unread". I'm just getting that from the context-- it reads more logically that way.

I also think it's significant that he puts "sons of Ham" in quotes. Thanks for the post and the explanation! I've never come across that phrase before. My sense of the letter is he's saying " don't worry, we really don't want to associate with you, we just want a chance to compete fairly. " It really gives you a sense of how awful that time was. Remarkable writing from a 15 year old.

​​​​​​He later wrote his autobiography. I don't think there's anything suggesting it was ghost-written.