View Single Post
Old 02-04-19, 10:10 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Base 2 I put brazed cantilever brake posts onto a 26" Varsity frame 36 yrs ago to use in early MTB racing here in Northern California. I had no trouble with the Ashtabula fork using this system but the Mafac Tandem cantilever brakes actually started bending the seat stays forward. Smaller Varsity frames might not have that problem. The bicycle was being used as a race bicycle where conditions are much worse than for everyday riding. Racing tends to weed out the weaknesses rapidly. Varsity's are not alone in having this problem. After a while MTB frame makers put on stouter seat stays that would not bend when using very strong brakes. I love your idea of longer rear forks. Rivendell has gone to this idea and if I get enough scratch together I would love to get one of their long wheelbase bicycles.