View Single Post
Old 02-05-19, 05:22 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
It's the limiting of consumer choice or limiting information to make an informed choice that is at issue. If a consumer "makes an end run" around the pricing structure, it's because the arbritrary market boundry is drawn wrong.

None of us own small businesses that has this problem. Small business is by definition the opposite of a global mega-corp. If we were small business owners, we would meet market demand at market prices.

The "outrage" is that the only way to know if a part is overpriced is to compare prices. That information is unavailable. Furthermore, they are still turning a profit in the cheaper market, we can then infer all monies collected beyond the exchange rate is gratituitous profit at the expense of an uninformed marginalized disempowered consumer that was knowingly taken advantage of. Eu-Us is the same as far as globalization is concerned. First world, both equally distant from manufacture. The equivalent market carving Shimano is doing is similar to selling to California at 1 high price, & Montana at a 40% discount. Then getting mad Californians are buying Montana sourced parts.

Nobody said Americans deserve a price break. We deserve a functioning free market capitalistic economy. Corporate domination to stifle competition; to contain and maintain, uninformed, boxed, consumers subservience is not consistant with this principal.

It is. The problem is the arbitrary boundarys drawn to carve up a single market for profit maximization. It's the same as the drug cartels defining which gang gets what territory. Doing so eliminates intra-gang rivalries so the cartel operates at highest profit across markets & lowest cost in any given market. It's the same as US telecoms intentionally staying out of eachothers areas to keep telecom/cable prices inflated. You can not prove the consumer was harmed by the absence of choice because the companies "choose" not to compete. Infrastructure cost keeps the little guy from even getting started. This prevents free market competition and ensures higher consumer cost.

While we're at it, I don't know anyone with a complete SRAM or Campy group set in any of my riding groups. I wonder if it has to do with the artificially inflated prices from the same game Shimano now seems to be playing.

I just can't believe people are ok with being bent over a barrel. It's just not right.
Nice rant. Your judgement is clouded by your obvious hatred of large corporations. Shimano in particular ofc.
Disempowered and subservient consumers, oh my
I sincerely hope you do not own a single Shimano item because that would make you a gigantic hypocrite. A gigantic disempowered and subservient hypocrite to be exact.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 02-05-19 at 05:39 AM.